Monday, February 23, 2009

Monday, Feb., 23

Today's class was preempted by an assembly for a motivational speaker. I handed you out an example of a persuasive essay at the beginning of class, "America on $195 per week" which I want you to read. Please identify five different, specific strategies which the author uses to try to persuade you. Write in full sentences (you think more clearly that way) and then state the author's thesis. You should bring this with you to class tomorrow.

I rescheduled the grammar test for Tuesday, so there's still time for a little more studying, and I did post a review on Friday's blog.

I was also able to squeeze in another example of a persuasive essay which I speed-read to you at the end of the period. I'm sure much was lost in my haste, and I know it's hard to comprehend things when you are just listening, but I hope that you were able to see that a thesis can be presented effectively through an almost strictly narrative structure (with didactic elements embedded in the dialogue).

Your rough draft is due on Wednesday for peer review, and then the good copy will be due on Friday. If you don't have a rough draft on Wednesday, you will be working independently in C121 and will miss a valuable formative opportunity. If you will be away, get a copy of my peer review sheet on Tuesday and work on it with a partner or two outside of class.